Thursday 1 August 2013

Ombré Adventures; Part One

Hey there m'lovelies! So today has been a bleh day in England and after weeks of glorious sunshine the good old English weather has returned and it is chucking it down outside! With no plans for the day and not wanting to go outside in the torrential downpour I decided to do the obvious thing and ombré my hair! Now I've had a few bizarre hair colours in the past from pink to an accidental mouldy green situation but since entering the world of employment the crazy hair had to go out the window and I returned to my regular black hair that I’ve sported on and off for the past seven years.

As you can imagine seven years of black hair dye build up isn't going to be the easiest thing to get out so I knew I was going to be in for some hair torture, however I don't have the best attitude with my hair that being "It'll grow back if something goes wrong" so with that mindset off I went!

The final slightly ginger product!
So my tactic for this was pretty unconventional, i.e. there wasn't one and I just made it up as I went along. I'd used powder bleach before so I mixed it up the powder and developer to a good consistency loaded it up onto my brush and slapped it onto the ends of my hair. My main goal was to avoid the dodgy straight line effect so after I painted the bleach onto the front and back of my hair (and across my shirt) I used my fingers to massage the bleach into the hair blurring out the line then just left it on for 20 minutes. After that time had passed I noticed it had little effect on my hair so left it on for a further 25 minutes before washing it out, when I washed it out I couldn't even see the lighter sections of hair but once I'd left it to dry my hope was restored as I had a ginger tinge to the ends of my hair.

On goes the bleach!
I then repeated the process later that evening to lighten the hair further (not advisable if you want lovely healthy hair) for half hour and this lifted it to a distinct brown/ginger which I'm happy to go around with for now and have decided to give my hair a break for a while before I try and lighten it further. My main points for anyone considering this is to definitely blend out the lines when applying the bleach and also ensure you're using and old towel to dry your hair as after finishing mine looked like this...


So I hope this post has been insightful for some of you for a less conventional way of achieving the ombré effect, because you know there clearly aren’t enough blog posts and videos on the subject... I'll keep you guys updated when I lighten it further and put the purple in and we'll see if my hair stays in my head aha!

Until next time, Love & TubTubs


No comments:

Post a Comment